Suomen geriatrit RY (SGry)
Some facts on demography and geriatrics in Finland…
Total population: 5.5
Percentage above 65 Yr: 20%
Number of physicians: 27.433 (all) and 20.403 (in working age)
Number of geriatricians: 243
Total number of hospital beds: 25.000
Number of geriatric beds: not always defined separately
Geriatrics is recognised as a...
- speciality since >20 years.
- subspeciality since >20 years.
Geriatric medicine is found in...
- acute care hospitals as acute geriatric wards
- out-patient care settings
- post-acute rehabilitation hospitals/clinics
- nursing homes or long term care facilities
Members of the society
Total number of Members: about 320
Other therapists: 0
- The 23rd Nordic Congress of Gerontology (23 NKG)
- EUGSM meeting in Lissabon
List of geriatric chairs and research centres in Finland
- Department of General Practice and Primary Health
- Turku Universities
- University of Eastern Finland
- Gerontology research Center Gerec (Universities of Tampere and Jyväskylä)
Achievements of geriatric medicine in Finland
Geriatric Medicine is a popular speciality in Finland, the mean age geriatrians is getting lower. The estimated number of new specialists needed in a year is 16 and we have reached this number, although the need of geriatricians may be higher in Northern parts of the country. The reseach is active. Common national meeting for Finnish geriatricians is running once in a year, and it has developed to a intresting and poluar venue to meet colleques, friend and expers on the areas of geristrians. Go to the webpages and see a lot of happy people together with our super guest, the officiell dancing ganny and overgranny (ylämummo) in Finland, Aira Samulin 89 years!
no news in this list.