Societatea Romana de Gerontologie si Geriatrie
Romanian Society of Gerontology and Geriatrics
Some facts on demography and geriatrics in Romania…
Total population: 21.666.350 (2015)
Percentage above 65 Yr: 17% (2016)
Percentage above 85 Yr: 1.3% (2011)
Number of physicians: 2.6 physicians/1.000 population (2015)
Number of geriatricians: 163
Total number of hospital beds: 119.579 beds (2016)
Number of geriatric beds: 952
Geriatrics is recognised as a...
- speciality since >20 years
Geriatric medicine is found in...
- acute care hospitals as acute geriatric wards
- out-patient care settings
- post-acute rehabilitation hospitals/clinics
- nursing homes or long term care facilities
Members of the society
Total number of Members: 200 (active members)
Other therapists: 15
Overall goals of the society
- stimulates and promotes fundamental and applied scientific research in clinical geriatrics, biology of aging and social gerontology, promotes the publication of results in national and international journals;
- protects the intellectual heritage of this field;
- promotes the interdisciplinary communication between researchers and clinicians, scientists in the field social gerontology, aiming at understanding the aging process and its effects upon individuals and society;
- supports geriatric prophylactic and curative healthcare activity development all over the country;
- pursues the continuing training and improvement of professional capacities of the members of the Society and offers the means to make the results of their scientific activity known at national and international level;
- promotes and maintains connections, by affiliation, with Romanian Medical Association and also, directly and indirectly, with Romanian scientific societies having activities connected to Gerontology and Geriatrics as well as with non-governmental organizations - social, humanitarian, confessional organizations within the country or from abroad, by affiliation and cooperation;
- promotes and maintains relationships with international organizations in the field. The Society is a member of the International Association of Gerontology (at present: International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics) and of the European Association of Gerontology;
- supports the development of education in the field of Geriatrics and Gerontology, at undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate level, with the final goal to develop a network of specialists in Geriatrics and Gerontology in Romania;
- organizes national and international events and supports attendance of similar scientific events abroad: courses, congresses, symposia, conferences;
- promotes implementation of courses with national and international participation, by cooperating with various organizations both in Romania and abroad;
- promotes exchanges of experience, study visits, technical consultancy for professionals, researchers with a special interest in the fields of Gerontology and Geriatrics;
- Since 2007 the Society organizes at least 1 scientific meeting every year, usually in the second half of October.
- Books of Abstracts of the previous Congresses and Conferences can be accessed here!
- Most abstracts are in English language and the programs are bilingual.
- Affiliated Societies: Societatea Tinerilor Medici Geriatri / Society of Young Geriatrician Doctors
List of geriatric chairs and research centres in Romania
- University of Medicine and Pharmacy "Carol Davila" Bucharest - Faculty of Medicine, Department 5, Chair of Geriatrics and Gerontology
- University of Medicine and Pharmacy "Carol Davila" Bucharest - Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery
- University of Medicine and Pharmacy "Iuliu Hatieganu", Cluj-Napoca - Department 6 Medical Specialties - Chair of Geriatrics and Gerontology
- University of Medicine and Pharmacy "Gr.T.Popa", Iasi - Department Medicale I. Chair of Internal Medicine, Nephrology and Geriatrics
no news in this list.