ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗ ΓΕΡΟΝΤΟΛΟΓΙΚΗ ΚΑΙ ΓΗΡΙΑΤΡΙΚΗ ΕΤΑΙΡΕΙΑ
Hellenic Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics
Some facts on demography and geriatrics in Greece…
Total population: 11 million
Percentage above 65 Yr: 20,5
Percentage above 80 Yr: 5,4% (2011)
Number of physicians: 6.1 per 1,000 population – (2011) OECD
Number of geriatricians: Unknown – around 25 all qualified abroad
Total number of hospital beds: 4.9 beds/1,000 population (2009)
Number of geriatric beds: None are earmarked as such
Since geriatrics is not recognised as a specialism, there are no geriatricians employed officially. De facto many doctors, especially those in cardio vascular diseases, general medicine, internal medicine do have a major part of the practice and knowledge in geriatrics.
Geriatric medicine is found in...
- nursing homes: 226 (119 non-profit)
- rehabilitation centers: 35
Members of the society
Total number of Members: 184
Other medical specialties: 28
Other therapists and gerontologists: 61
Special interest groups within society
Special Interest Groups: Geriatric Surgery, Geriatric Oncology, Osteoporosis and Falls, Alzheimer and other mental diseases.
- Annual post-graduate courses on gerontology and geriatric medicine organized by the Hellenic Association, but these are only recognised as Continued Professional Education (CPE credits are issued), not as specialisation courses. It is possible however, for MDs to work on a PhD on Geriatric Medicine in all of the 7 Medical Schools of the country.
- Annual Courses on Gerontology and Geriatrics, one or two-day seminars on special topics.
- Many publications in Greek language and publications in international journals. Participation of European and International Geriatrics Congresses.
- H.A.G.G. has had the initiative and is working on the creation of the Hellenic Web Platform e-Library on Geriatrics and Gerontology which includes all Greek articles on Geriatrics and Gerontology as well as all the International Publications issued by Greek Authors, published within the last 15 years.
List of geriatric chairs and research centres in Greece
- No Chairs of Geriatric Medicine
- No University Department of Geriatrics
- No University Department of Gerontology
- No state research centres with ageing as their central focus.