CGA - Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment
Role of CGA in assessment and management of older people
Leader: Alberto Pilotto
Multidimensional Assessment and Management is the core of the geriatric care and the gold standard of the geriatric approach to the older people. The Special Interest Group (SIG) in Multidimensional Assessment and Management of the Older people aims to develop strategies and studies in order to implement, evaluate and disseminate good practices on the Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment and Management to the older people in different settings and in clinical practices.
- Participation of EUGMS, through this SIG, to the MPI_Age project, co-funded by the European Union Third Health programme
- Participation of EUGMS, through this SIG, to the EUROSAF Study (Evaluating The Efficacy And Risks Of Anticoagulant Treatments In Multimorbid Frail Older Subjects With Atrial Fibrillation)
- Participation to the EFFICHRONIC project, co-funded by the European Union Third Health programme, where Dr. Alberto Pilotto is the project leader for Italy and Dr. Stefania Maggi the external evaluator for the whole project;
- Realization of the MPI_Age Recommendations for Health Care Providers, for Decision Makers and for General Public (link)
- Realization of the MPI_Age Score Calculator, available for free at the following link
- Organization of the MPI_Age Final Event in Venice and in Genova in June 2017;
- Organization of the Congresso Spagnolo
- Organization of a Dedicated Symposium during the EUGMS Congress in Nice in October 2017;
Projects, Events in 2018, 2019
- An EUROSAF dedicated symposium during the next EUGMS Congress in Berlin (10-12 October 2018), for the preliminary presentation of the study’s results;
- Event on “Multidimensional Approach to the Older People for Active and Healthy Ageing – SAI_MPI: dissemination strategy to avoid discrimination in General Practice” to be held in Italy with the involvement of 50 geriatricians and more than 500 general practitioners in collaboration with SIGOT (Società Italiana Geriatria Ospedale e Territorio) and ACC-N-MED (Accademia Nazionale di Medicina);
Next Meeting of the Group
EUGMS Congress in Berlin, 10-12 October 2018
- Angleman SB, Santoni G, Pilotto A, Fratiglioni L, Welmer AK on behalf of the MPI_AGE Project Investigators. Multidimensional Prognostic Index in association with future mortality and number of hospital days in a population-based sample of older adults: results of the EU funded MPI_AGE Project. PLoS One 2015;10:e0133789.
- Brunello A, Fontana A, Zafferri V et al. Development of an oncological-multidimensional prognostic index (Onco-MPI) for mortality prediction in older cancer patients. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2016 May;142(5):1069-77.
- Bureau ML, Liuu E, Christiaens L et al. on behalf of the MPI_AGE Project Investigators. Using a multidimensional prognostic index (MPI) based on comprehensive geriatric assessment (CGA) to predict mortality in elderly undergoing transcatheter aortic valve implantation. Int J Cardiol. 2017 Jun 1; 236: 381-386.
- Daragjati J, Musacchio C, Polidori MC et al. on behalf of the MPI_AGE Investigators. Multidimensional Prognostic Index in hospitalized elderly patients across Europe and Australia: a prospective multicenter study of the European MPI_AGE project. Eur Geriatr Med 2016; 7(S1):S16.
- Mangoni AA, Pilotto A. New drugs and patient-centred end-points in old age: setting the wheels in motion. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol 2016; 9 (1): 81-89
- Pilotto A, Gallina P, Fontana A, et al. Development and validation of a multidimensional prognostic index for mortality based on a standardized Multidimensional Assessment Schedule (MPI-SVaMA) in community-dwelling older subjects. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2013;14:287-92.
- Pilotto A, Sancarlo D, Polidori MC on behalf of the MPI_ AGE Investigators. The MPI_AGE European Project: Using Multidimensional Prognostic Indices (MPI) to improve cost-effectiveness of interventions in multimorbid frail older persons. Background, aim and design. Eur Geriatr Med 2015;6:184-8.
- Pilotto A, Panza F, Copetti M, et al. on behalf of the MPI_AGE Project Investigators. Statin treatment and mortality in community-dwelling frail older patients with diabetes mellitus: a retrospective observational study. PLoS One 2015;10:e0130946.
- Pilotto A, Arboretti GR, Panza F et al. on behalf of the MPI_AGE Investigators. Role of anti-dementia drugs and multidimensional impairment on mortality rates in frail multimorbid older patients with dementia: results from the European MPI_AGE project. 11th Congress of the EUGMS (European Union Geriatric Medicine Society), Oslo, Norway, 16-18 September 2015. Eur Geriatr Med 2015; 6(S1): S20.
- Pilotto A, Sancarlo D, Rengo F, et al. on behalf of the FIRI SIGG Study Group. The Multidimensional Prognostic Index predicts in-hospital length of stay in older patients: a multicenter prospective study. Age Ageing 2016;45: 90-6.
- Pilotto A, Gallina P, Copetti M et al. on behalf of the Multidimensional Prognostic Index_Age Project Investigators. Warfarin Treatment and All-Cause Mortality in Community-Dwelling Older Adults with Atrial Fibrillation: A Retrospective Observational Study. J Am Geriatr Soc 2016 Jul;64(7):1416-24.
- Pilotto A, Gallina P, Panza F, et al. on behalf of the Multidimensional Prognostic Index_Age Project Investigators. Relation of statin use and mortality in community-dwelling frail older patients with coronary artery disease Am J Cardiol. 2016 Dec;118(11):1624-1630.
- Pilotto A, Cella A, Pilotto A et al. Three decades of Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment: evidence coming from different healthcare settings and specifric clinical conditions. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2017; 18(2):192.e1-192.e11.
- Sultana J, Basile G, Trifirò G. Measuring frailty in population-based healthcare databases: multi-dimensional prognostic indices for the improvement of geriatric care. Geriatric Care 2016; 2: 5596.
- Sultana J, Fontana A, Giorgianni F, et al. Multidimensional frailty indicators in a nationwide GP database predict mortality in the elderly: MPI_AGE results. 11th Congress of the EUGMS (European Union Geriatric Medicine Society), Oslo, Norway, 16-18 September 2015. Eur Geriatr Med 2015;6(S1):S23.
- Volpato S, Bazzano S, Fontana A, Ferrucci L, Pilotto A on behalf of the MPI-TriVeneto Study Group. Multidimensional Prognostic Index predicts mortality and length of stay during hospitalization in the older patients: a multicenter prospective study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2015; 70 (3): 323-9.
- Volpato S, Daragjati J, Simonato M, et al. Change in the multidimensional prognostic index score during hospitalization in older patients. Rejuvenation Res 2016;19:244-51.
- Alberto Pilotto (Italy)
- Niccolò Marchionni (Italy)
- Mario Durando (Italy)
- Mario Barbagallo (Italy)
- Giovanni Ruotolo (Italy)
- Maria Cristina Polidori (Germany)
- Hans Jurgen Heppner (Germany)
- Regina Roller-Wirnsberger (Austria)
- Pedro Gil Gregorio (Spain)
- Alfonso Cruz-Jentoft (Spain)
- Pedro Marques da Silva (Portugal)
- Heidi Gruner (Portugal)
- Jean Petermans (Belgium)
- Nicolas Berg (Belgium)
- Eva Topinkova (Czech Republic)
- Hana Matejovska-Kubesova (Czech Republic)
- Bernd Günther (Finland)
- Tuomo Nieminen (Finland)
- Marc Paccalin (France)
- Peter Olexa (Slovakia)
- Riitta Antikainen (Finland)
- Ozlem Yilmaz (Turkey)
- Juhani Rossinen (USA)
- Luigi Ferrucci (USA)
- Francesco Mattace Raso (Netherlands)
- Stefania Maggi (Italy)
- Daniele Sancarlo (Italy)
- Ulrike Sommeregger (Austria)
- Arduino Mangoni (Australia)
- Laura Fratiglioni (Sweden)
- Anna Karin Welmer (Sweden)
- Janet Sultana (Italy)
- Gianluca Trifirò (Italy)
- Timo Strandberg (Finland)
For what concerns the MPI_Age Project, it was Co funded by EU (CHAFEA) through the Health Programme.
For what concerns the EUROSAF Study, it is co-funded by an unrestricted contribution by Bayer Pharma AG.
ContactDr. Maria Cristina Polidori