EuGMS Organogram 2018
- The governing body of the EuGMS is the Full Board (FB), consisting of one representative for each member country.
- The Executive board (EB) is responsible for the day to day working of the EuGMS, supported by the paid secretariat.
- Eight directors on the EB are elected by the FB and share responsibility for all EB activity and decisions.
- The EB appoints these members to specific roles.
- In practice the FB elects individuals with a view to the role they will take up.
- The president can appoint a special advisor to join the EB.
- There is a division of responsibilities to lead on the various activities and for practical reasons, authority is delegated to officers for their area of the work.
MEMBERSHIP OF THE EXECUTIVE BOARD
|President-Elect||Elected by Full board||2 years|
|President||Progresses from president-elect after 2 years at discretion of EB||2 years|
|Progresses from president||2 years |
|Two Finance directors||Previously known as treasurers||4 years|
|Communications and Web Director||4 years|
|General Secretary||General Secretary||4 years|
|Academic Director||4 years|
|Special advisor||Appointed by the president (optional)||2 years|
- Accountable body is the FB, which the Internal Rules of the EuGMS have given the authority to make final decisions.
- Responsible means that the director on the EB has some freedom for actions but must advise the president and the E B of actions taken and the results.
- Relationship means that exchange of information is usually needed to ensure the EB and secretariat can function well.
- All directors are accountable to the FB, directly at the FB meetings and via the EB between FB meetings.
- represents the society in all official events and documents.
- has an overall view of all the tasks of the Society and oversees MOU with external organisations.
- leads EB and FB and chairs their meetings.
- usually attends the Academic Board (AB).
- supports other directors as necessary and facilitates their interactions.
- takes day to day decisions on behalf of the EB, consistent with the agreed objectives of the Society, in consultation with other directors : these decisions are reported to the next EB meeting.
- oversees the paid secretariat but can delegate supervision roles to EB members.
- supports and assists the work of the President.
- usually leads some strategic planning with support of ad hoc strategy groups as necessary.
- chairs the FB or EB in absence of the President.
- usually attends the AB.
- provides his/her experience and gives advice to all EB members and in particular to the president and the academic director.
- may take on specific additional tasks at the request of the EB.
- Usually attends the AB.
TWO FINANCE DIRECTORS
- Report directly to all EB and FB meetings
- Share accountability, work together, but divide activities as they see fit
- Construct the yearly budget and follow up of the incomes and outcomes
- Approve extraordinary expenditures (not stated in the approved budget)
- Oversee a discretionary budget of 5,000.00€ annually to cover unexpected expenses consistent with objectives of the Society and EB.
- Supervise financial aspects of the annual congress
- Supervisie the financial secretary
- Practical activities include:
- Payment and close monitoring of the budget
- Revision and approval of expenditures, including expenses of board members
- Control of all liabilities in a financial registry
- Direct contact with PCO and external organisations for coordination
- Contact with the lawyer for contracts’ supervision and ethical aspects
- Make suggestions for increasing the income of the Society and cutting expenses, if possible or needed.
- Follow up of the finances yearly and comparison year/year
COMMUNICATIONS AND WEB DIRECTOR
- Report to the EB at least 2 times per year and to each FB
- Supervision of the webmaster
- Implementation and upgrading of the EuGMS website
- Coordination and dissemination of the information to put on the website and social media:
- Close relationship with the general secretary , the nominated liaison member of the AB, the academic director and president
- Stimulate young geriatricians and coordination of a web group
- Management and supervision of social media accounts
- Appointment and supervision of the Social Media group
- Report to each EB and FB
- Supervision of the administrative secretariat in collaboration with the President
- First responder to inquiries from members, and external inquiries not clearly directed to other officers
- Contacts with member countries and membership affairs and activation of them
- Managing information flows, in close collaboration with the Communications/Web Director for dissemination
- Prepare the agenda of the FB meetings in collaboration with the president
- Support the president in preparation of EB Telecall and meetings
- Production of board minutes in colaboration with admin secretariat and president
- Directs the Academic Board (AB) which consists of 6 to 10 persons, nominated by the academic director and approved by the EB
- Coordinates scientific activities
- Organization of the Congress with the PCO
- Supervision of the activities of the SIGs and T&Fgroups
- Develops and oversees scientific partnerships, (e.g. European projects, international contacts, etc) in collaboration witht the Scientific Liaison Officer (OEPIA 2015-2020)
- Support sand stimulate contacts with other scientific societies and promotes geriatrics in their activities and Congresses
- Has direct working relations with all other EB members
- Reports to every EB and FB meeting
SPECIAL ADVISOR TO THE PRESIDENT
- Responsible to the president for specifc activity
- An ex-officio (non voting) member of the Exec board
- Assists the work of the President
- Scientific aspects in relationship with the academic director
- Strategic aspect in any ad hoc strategic group
- Financial aspect in relationship with the treasurers
- Can represent the president if needed, outside the society
- Active in the development of collaboration with other societies
- Joint activities with other organisations will generally be established under a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and set out in a standard template as approved by the EB
- New MOUs require approval of the EB and will be reviewed each 3 years
- MOUs will be overseen by the president but whenever feasible will be « hosted » in the most relevant Special Interest Group (SIG)
- Financial support for Task and Finish groups will usually be from external sources: these groups will be hosted by the most relevant SIG
- SIGs will be overseen by the academic director and AB and will function in accordance with agreed rules as approved by the EB
- Receipt by EuGMS of external financial support or sponsorship and Endorsement of external activities by EuGMS will both be subject to standard procedures, approved by the FB and overseen by the EB
- The PCO contract will be overeseen by the EB with the academic director and finance directors having particular oversight of its work.
- The admin secretariat contract will be reviewed at least 3 yearly by the EB
- The financial secretariat will generally be separate from the PCO and will be reviewed by the EB at least 3 yearly