Young Geriatricians Initiative
Dear colleagues and friends,
During the autumn 2019 the EuGMS Executive Board decided to launch a new initiative to help younger geriatricians play a greater part in the life of EuGMS.
It is essential for a Society to have both younger and older members to ensure new initiatives and ideas and develop the skills and networks to sustain the successful future of EuGMS.
To get this established, the Executive Board decided to create a structure with the continuity needed to support this group – for the time being the General Secretary Anne Ekdahl – with strong backing from the administrative secretary Benedetta Bellotti and our web-director Sofia Duque.
Our aims are to
- Help and support networking amongst younger geriatricians and create suitable opportunities for younger congress-participants from across Europe to meet and get to know each other
- Ensure that the Boards of EuGMS hear the voice, concerns, and aspirations of younger colleagues
- Get more younger attendees to the congresses
- Support the EuGMS Social Media Group
In addition, with support from the EuGMS Special Interest Groups (SIGs) we hope to
- Increase research activities done by younger geriatricians
- Attract more younger geriatricians to join the EuGMS SIGs
- Initiate a channel for senior support to young researchers
During the EuGMS e-Congress 2020 we will:
- Have a live session focusing on "Experiences of Young Geriatricians during the COVID-19 pandemic". The session will be on Friday Oct 9th from 5 to 5:50 pm CEST (Please visit https://eugms2020.online/ for further details)
- Launch a blog, and invite younger geriatricians to contribute pieces over the next year
- Activate a platform for younger geriatricians to start building relationships across the World.
- Discuss with the EuGMS boards the possibility to create special grants, based for example on their good abstracts, for younger EuGMS members to be funded to attend other society’s congresses as reporters for EuGMS, providing feedback to the wider membership through the website and social media.
We hope that this initiative will create an inclusive and creative atmosphere for the Society and that this will support the development of new generations of leaders to grow geriatric medicine, clinically and academically.
Prof. Anne W. Ekdahl
General Secretary of the EuGMS
Coordinator of the Young Geriatricians Group
New YGI Blog!
Find more and submit your blog here!