Türkiye - AGS
Akademik Geriatri Derneği
Turkish Academic Geriatrics Society
Some facts on demography and geriatrics in Türkiye…
Total population: 85.279.553
Percentage of 65 yo and over is %9.9 which is 8.451.669 people
Percentage above 80 Yr: 2.1%
Number of physicians: 171.259
Number of geriatricians: 175
Total number of hospital: 1.534
Total number of hospila beds: 253.160 (30 beds per 10.000 people)
Number of geriatric beds: 800
Geriatrics is recognised as a...
- subspeciality since >20 years
Geriatric medicine is found in...
- acute care hospitals as acute geriatric wards
- out-patient care settings
- nursing homes or long term care facilities
Members of the society
Total number of Members: 195
Other therapists: 10
Past and present activities of our society – for more information visit our website.
Academic Geriatrics Society was founded on 2005. Purposes of the Association is to ensure its members to be at high level standards of research on Geriatrics, training, patient care and treatment, and to contribute to the improvement of technical and scientific means for patient care in geriatrics. The society has 72 geriatrician members and we also have members from other departments of Internal Medicine; Hematology, Nephrology, Rheumatology, Medical Oncology, Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology and also from Geriatric Nursing, Geriatric Psychiatry, Physical Therapy and Nutrition.
The aims of the society are:
- To provide progress in Geriatrics diseases, to have researches made and support them.
- To promote scientific and social relations by joining the members of this branch of science and the scientific and social instutions about this branch under the roof of this society
- To organize congresses, conferences, seminars and courses in order to prevent the studies on this subject from falling behind the world standards and to provide exchange of information between the society members and education of the persons concerned.
- To represent our country at similar meetings and to advertise the studies in this branch in Turkey, research, promote the publications and support this issue.
- To open research and education centers which are fit for purpose.
- To cooperate with the foundations and the societies pursuing the similar goals.
- To increase the number of geriatricians and geriatric clinics in government health hospitals.
Training in Geriatric Medicine:
According to the Turkish law, Geriatric Medicine is a division of the Internal Medicine Departments. According to the by-laws on the specialty, 3 years of geriatric medicine education is required after 4 years of internal medicine residency to become a geriatrician.
Organization of the health care system:
There are 14 Geriatric Medicine Departments and 80 geriatricians now in the country, and all are working in the field of geriatric medicine after internal medicine residency and all work with the Academic Geriatric Society. There are 12 professors, 15 associate professors and 53 geriatric medicine specialists in the area of geriatric medicine.
“European Journal of Geriatrics and Gerontology" is the official journal of Academic Geriatrics Society since 2019. It is an online, open access, peer review journal.
Scientific Meetings and educational activities:
The Society has been organizing the Annual Academic Geriatrics Congress with apprx. 800 participants and international speakers. The 11th one will be on april 19-23, 2018 in Antalya.
In addition to these, we also organize the ”National Education Symposium for Nursing Home Personnel” 3 times a year (on topics of dementia, nutrition) with approximately 100 participants all with the support of the Ministry of Family and Social Policies and the Elderly.
List of geriatric chairs and research centres in Türkiye
University medical faculties: Hacettepe, İstanbul - Capa, İstanbul - Cerrahpaşa , Ege, Ankara, Dokuz Eylul, GATA, Gazi, Gaziantep, Erciyes, Marmara, Maltepe, Bilim, Acıbadem, Akdeniz, Başkent, Gülhane Education and Research Hospital, Atatürk, Süleyman Demirel and Konya.
no news in this list.