Leader: Susan Shenkin Pinar Soysal
Dear Friends and Colleagues,
We are in an effort to reactivate “Dementia Group”, which is one of the important special interest groups of our European Geriatric Medicine Society.
As you know, perhaps one of the most important issues in our geriatric practice is the assessment of cognitive functions, the management of dementia and dementia-related behavioral disorders, and the necessary support to the caregivers in the process. For this reason, it is very important for geriatricians in different countries to share their experiences on dementia, to produce joint projects and to shed light on world science by exchanging ideas.
For these purposes, we offer you to work together and merge our forces.
Join us! Let's create ideas and bring them to life together!
Your role is essential.
Susan Shenkin and Pinar Soysal
Leaders of the EuGMS SIG on Dementia
Leader: Susan Shenkin (Geriatric Medicine, Division of Health Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK, firstname.lastname@example.org )
Co-Leader: Pinar Soysal (Department of Geriatric Medicine, Bezmialem Vakif University, Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey, email@example.com)
The group will specifically generate actions aimed at:
- Understanding the different practices in diagnosis and management of dementia across Europe
- Sharing best practice to to support and facilitate the early clinical detection and assessment of cognitive impairment among older adults in Europe.
- Sharing best practice to increase awareness of reversible reasons of cognitive impairment, such as vitamin B12 deficiency, depression, or drugs related cognitive dysfunction (anticholinergic drugs side effects) in older adults.
- Sharing best practice to supporting the design of follow-up and treatment strategies for dementia and dementia related neuropsychiatric symptoms.
- To connect with brain banks across European countries in order to increase the awareness of neuropathological and clinical diagnosis at a European level.
- To develop education and comminucation strategies for caregivers of dementia patients.
- To understand the variation in diagnosis and management of dementia subtypes across Europe (e.g. dementia with Lewy body dementia, Vascular dementia, Alzheimer’s Disease)
- The Dementia SIG will aim to organize a symposium on dementia in every EuGMS congress.
It will collaborate with other relevant SIGs to achieve the above aims and to improve the care of patients with dementia across Europe
Expected method of work
Collaboration with other EuGMS SIGs and Scientific/health Societies/Organizations; publication of manuscripts; presentations at congresses/workshops.
Way of communication among members
Electronic communication, face-to–face meetings at EuGMS and other conferences
Planning of meetings
Every year at the EuGMS annual conferences