Education & Training
Sections: Undergraduate Postgraduate , Continous Professional Interdisciplinary Education
The EuGMS Special Interest Group (SIG) aims to
- Provide strategic direction standards and vision for the development, quality assurance, and delivery of undergraduate and postgraduate training in Geriatric Medicine across Europe.
- Recognize and value the diversity of practice of Geriatric Medicine across Europe aiming to improve the care of Older People regardless of the set-up of the service.
- Release European standards in geriatric training of students and medical doctors on basis of best medical education (BEME)
- Connect and communicate effectively with medical faculties across Europe to foster geriatric education on all levels by bringing together national experts and leaders in education from all European countries
- Foster evidence based continuous medical education and promote the principles of Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment and frailty management to all medical doctors and specialists of various disciplines involved in older people’s care across the continents
- Enhance basic geriatric knowledge among other health care and social gerontology professionals through inter-professional education
- Closely relate with other SIGs and offer educational expertise in the organization of meetings and congresses
- Collaborate, develop and maintain excellent working relationships with other bodies that promote high standards in the delivery of Geriatric Medicine globally.
Relevance for the purposes of the EuGMS
The work of the SIG in Education and Training supports the core mission of the EuGMS to launch Geriatric Medicine across EuGMS member states and to build a platform for networking and exchange on all matters relating to Education and Training.
N° of members: 45 (Jan 1, 2021)
Expected method of work
Liaison with executive board (executive board member:Tahir Masud, responsible for education)
The EuGMS Education and Training SIG hosts the European Education + Training Board made up of 4 Organisations: EuGMS SIG; UEMS-GM section (Jaap Krulder); EAMA (Nele Van Den Noortgate) and IAGG-ER (Timo Strandberg).
We work towards achieving our aims through surveys, scaling up of best practices, teaching activities, educational research and collaborative statements with other professions, projects and SIGs, and production of support material for members
First expected outcome and approximate date of completion
- Update of undergraduate curriculum in member states (ongoing)
- Scaling up of the Geriatrics for Juniors ( G4J) programme developed in the UK to Europe (kick off in Berlin) (from 2019 on -ongoing)
- Liaison with initiative lead by Athanase Benetos to support development of geriatrics in Countries with need
- Joint Work with SIG on Gerodontology – including survey in plan (ongoing)
- Symposium during EuGMS Congress 2022
Way of communication among members
Information and Communications Technology (ICT) based using Emails and video conference
Work in subgroups as needed.
Planning of meetings
The SIG aims to meet during the annual EuGMS congress preferably in a face to face meeting following all rules applied by the academic board.
18th EuGMS International Congress, London September 28-30 - SIG Collateral Meeting - OPEN - SEPT 29th from 07.00pm to 08.00pm UK TIME
17th EuGMS International Congress, Athens October 11-13 - SIG Collateral Meeting - OPEN- OCT 13th from 11.45am to 01.15pm CEST