Emergency Geriatric Medicine
Improving care of older patients in Emergency Medicine throughout Europe
Leader: Simon P. Mooijaart
- To propose guidelines and spread existing guidelines relevant to older people in pre-hospital care and emergency departments.
- To develop guidance on educational and service delivery programmes to improve care of older people in emergency departments.
- To develop collaboration with other societies active in influencing care of older people in emergency departments.
- To consult, deliberate and provide guidancon definitions, scope of practice and terms of reference of geriatric emergency care in emergency departments.
- To define the emerging subspecialty of Geriatric Emergency Medicine (GEM) for member European Union countries.
- Well attended (>150 delegates) symposium on GEM during EUGMS in Lisbon Portugal (septmber 2016)
- Multiple presentatations during EUSEM conference in Vienna (septmber 2016)
- Published European curriculum on GEM (July 2016)
- Re-confirmed collaboration with the GEM-section of the European Union Society for Emergency Medicine in collective European Task force on GEM (spring 2017)
Projects & Events
- Update and publication of GEM Task force mission, vision and goals
- Establish and publish a research agenda on GEM
- Further disseminate the curriculum in GEM; Develop a toolbox of education means
- Initiate clinical practice guidelines specific for older patients in the Emergency Medicine setting
- Establishing working group of GEM SIG members dedicated to specific tasks
N° of members: 136
Next meeting of the group
15th EuGMS Congress Krakow 25-27 September 2019
- Christian Nickel, Abdel Bellou, Simon Conroy (eds)
“Geriatric Emergency Medicine" - Springer 2018
- S. Conroy , C.H. Nickel, A.B. Jónsdóttir, M. Fernandez, J. Banerjee , S. Mooijaart, F. Sjöstrand, E. Devriendt, O. Ganansia, F.J. Martín Sánchez ,A. Bellou.
The development of a European curriculum in Geriatric Emergency Medicine.
European Geriatric Medicine, July 2016, Volume 7, Issue 4, Pages 315–321