Long Term Care
Better healthcare in care homes
Leader: Ólafur Samúelsson Prof. Desmond O'Neill
- To promote the issue of LTC in policy and research agenda of the EU and member countries
- To promote the implementation of geriatric medicine and related health technologies
- To promote collaboration and partnership approaches to LTC with other relevant partners
- To promote capacity building and exchange of experience in LTC education and research
- To develop and disseminate documents, materials and information to improve quality of LTC
- To prepare recommendations (with other EUGMS SIGs and initiatives) on different aspects of LTC such as quality, safety and dignity of care etc.
- To foster international scientific and research collaboration in the field of LTC
- To communicate and collaborate with national and international activities
N° of Members
Expected method of work
Selected projects decided among our members according to the aims of the group, individually followed through , the end results/publications depending on the nature of the project
a) Our immediate project in progress is the formulation of a suggestion for desired Core Competencies for LTC physicians.
For this task there has been done some ground work: Comparison of curricula (presented in EuGMS/Nice) and recently a survey on the provision of care (unpublished)
The plan is to establish a Task and Finish Group among selected SIG members for review of Core Competencies
b) Suggestions and preparations for scientific symposia during the annual EuGMS conferences, a continuous fruitful collaboration with AMDA is expected.
First expected outcome and approximate date of completion
This project is in progress. The plan is for a published paper in 2019
Way of communication among members
Annual meeting, email, for appropriate projects Skype conferences
Planning of meetings
EUGMS annual conferences For general information, update of activities and discussion of ideas. Next meeting: 15th EuGMS Congress Krakow 25-27 September 2019