The Falls and Fractures
The Falls and Fractures Special Interest Group
Leader: Hubert Blain Jesper Ryg
- To list EUGMS members and members of national societies who are involved in fall prevention in their countries
- To identify whether and to what level fall prevention is a component included in the current geriatric medicine curricula in member countries and to explore opportunities for improvement of Falls and Fractures Prevention teaching inEurope.
- To collect relevant documents related to falls prevention which are brought into use in European countries or regions in order to produce the best falls prevention resources for use by professionals (available guidelines, leaflets, or other materials on risk factors for falls, or on measures to prevent falls).
- To write EUGMS best practice guidelines related to falls and fractures prevention
- Organization of a common symposium with the femoral Neck Network (FFN) in Nice 2017 EuGMS meeting
- Set up of a Fall-risk-increasing drugs (FRID) Task and Finish group directed by Dr Nathalie van der Velde (n.vandervelde(at)amc.nl) (contact : Lotta Seppälä : l.j.seppala(at)amc.uva.nl) : Heinrich Thaler (Austria), Mirko Petrovic (Belgium), Eva Topinková (Czech Republic), Jesper Ryg (Denmark), Sirpa Hartikainen (Finland), Hubert Blain, Jean Bousquet (France), Irene O’Byrne-Maguire, Rose Anne Kenny (Ireland), Francesco Landi (Italy), Kristian Zammit (Malta), Tischa van der Cammen, Marielle Emmelot-Vonk, Nathalie van der Velde, Lotta Seppälä (Netherlands), Katarzyna Szczerbińska (Poland), Leocadio Rodriguez Mañas, Marta Gutiérrez-Valencia, Maria Angeles Caballero-Mora (Spain), Lucie Laflamme, Gösta Bucht, Yngve Gustafsson, Olle Svensson, Patrik Eklund, Ulrika Pettersson-Kymmer(Sweden), Gulistan Bahat (Turkey), Tash Masud, Alpana Mair (UK).
- Organization by the FRID Task and Finnish group of a symposium in Nice 2017 EuGMS meeting, at Dutch geriatric days, EU falls festival, and the frailty and bone health conference in 2017
- Organization of a symposium in Lisbon 2016 EUGMS meeting
- Symposium organized by the Falls and Fracture SIG in Oslo EUGMS meeting in 2015
Projects & Events
- EuGMS 2018 congress in Berlin, Germany
- Statement paper on knowledge dissemination on FRID
- Preparation of working materials for knowledge dissemination for GPs, patients, students
- Preparation of a European FRID list
- Proposal of a work (guidelines), in link with the EUGMS Emergency Geriatric Medicine SIG, about optimized care in Emergency Department of patients with a hip fracture. EUGMS position paper.
Next meeting of the group
EUGMS 2019 Congress in Krakow
Update knowledge related to fall-risk-increasing drugs (FRID) (Fall-risk-increasing drugs Task and Finish group) : Three systematic reviews on FRID :
de Vries M, Seppala LJ, Daams JG, van de Glind EMM, Masud T, van der Velde N; EUGMS Task and Finish Group on Fall-Risk-Increasing Drugs. Fall-Risk-Increasing Drugs: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis: I. Cardiovascular Drugs. Published in J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018 Jan 30. pii: S1525-8610(17)30698-9. doi: 10.1016/j.jamda.2017.12.013. [Epub ahead of print]
Seppala LJ, Wermelink AMAT, de Vries M, Ploegmakers KJ, van de Glind EMM, Daams JG, van der Velde N; EUGMS task and Finish group on fall-risk-increasing drugs. Fall-Risk-Increasing Drugs: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis: II. Psychotropics. Published in J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018 Feb 2. pii: S1525-8610(17)30784-3. doi: 10.1016/j.jamda.2017.12.098. [Epub ahead of print]
Seppala LJ, van de Glind EMM, Daams JG, Ploegmakers KJ, de Vries M, Wermelink AMAT, van der Velde N; EUGMS Task and Finish Group on Fall-Risk-Increasing Drugs. Fall-Risk-Increasing Drugs: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis: III. Others. Published in J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2018 Feb 2. pii: S1525-8610(17)30785-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jamda.2017.12.099. [Epub ahead of print]
Publication of the EUGMS position paper on falls and fractures in Europe in link with EUMS, ESCO, and IOF.
Blain H, Masud T, Dargent-Molina P, Martin FC, et al. EUGMS Falls and Fracture Interest Group; European Society for Clinical and Economic Aspects of Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis (ESCEO), Osteoporosis Research and Information Group (GRIO), and International osteoporosis Foundation (IOF). A Comprehensive Fracture Prevention Strategy in Older Adults: The European Union Geriatric Medicine Society (EUGMS) Statement.
published in J Nutr Health Aging. 2016;20(6):647-52.
published in Aging Clin Exp Res. 2016;28(4):797-803.
published in Eur Geriatr Med 2016 dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eurger.2016.04.012
N° of members: 42